“Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” [ESV]
God is alive. God is active. God is at work.
This is a Doxology written by Paul. A doxology is defined as “an expression of praise to God, especially a short hymn sung as part of a Christian worship service.” It often appears at the end of psalms and hymns.
To Him be glory
- All members of one body, like mirrors, reflecting the glory of God.
- We allow for an area for God to move—where the work of Christ Jesus can take place for all to see
To do far more abundantly
- Abundantly – super abundance in quality and quantity (doesn’t just mean more)
- In the church God can do more than we ask for or imagine.
Verse 19 – Love of Christ for the church goes beyond what we can know
Verse 20 – Power of God over the church goes beyond what you can think
God says, “I can do more.”
1 Kings 3 – Solomon’s request
- 9 – “Give me an understanding heart so that I can govern your people well and know the difference between right and wrong. For who by himself is able to govern this great people of yours?” [NLT]
- 13 – “And I will also give you what you did not ask for–riches and fame! No other king in all the world will be compared to you for the rest of your life!” [NLT]
Because we struggle to imagine & believe God can do great things through us, we don’t ask Him to do them.
Our prayers are so little, so limited. How do we compliment God when we ask for small things? No prayer is too big for our God.
- Remember who you are in Christ (Ephesians 1:1-14 – Sons and Daughters)
- Ask for help for your unbelief (Mark 9:14-29 – Jesus heals boy with unclean spirit)
- Ask for more & expect more
Bible Study Questions:
- The main passage we are studying focuses on the glory of God. How is God’s glory displayed in the Church?
- How does God get glory when there is harmony and unity in the church? How can we strive to be more united as a church? What can be a stumbling block to this harmony and unity in the church?
- How does God get glory when we as a church are obedient to His leading? What can we do to be more obedient? What can be a stumbling block to this obedience as a church?
- How can you be a disciple who lives for the abundantly more for the church?
- How can we be a church who lives for the abundantly more for the church?
11 thoughts on “Ephesians Study: Abundantly More”